This year we need to be prepared for a fluid situation: times when we can see each other in person and times when it is necessary to switch online because of potential isolation/confinement orders. Indeed some of the higher levels will be online from day 1.
The online Checklist
- Make sure you have access to a computer, a large screen helps. If you intend to take it with you to in-centre classes, it will need to be portable.
- You will need a good Internet connection at home, fiber is probably the fastest thing today. Some providers offer a more reliable connection than others. Connecting via ethernet cable is usually better than via wifi, but both systems work.
- Make sure your camera and microphone are in working order.
- It helps to have a good mobile to allow you to send and receive files easily.
- Make sure you check your class Whatsapp and email regularly, as you and your teacher will also communicate via these media.
- Make sure you are up-to-date with live links and the links/password for your Inishouse Live digital classroom and weekly videoconferences.
At Inishouse we have always offered excellent blended learning courses: with online correction, social media, email, and structured courses, prepared for you to work at home, novels by term and links every week. 'The class' is about 20% of the story.
This year classes will take place either in in-house sessions in a beautiful, adapted school for in centre-classes with materials and methods, or, classes will move over fluidly online to an adapted digital environment, at Inishouse Live, where your teacher, who knows you and where you are living well, continues to be closely at your side.
Know that many students have worked very successfully online; many have taken and passed exams at all levels. Even our youngest students have worked successfully. You can practise communicating in English just as much online as you can in a classroom, and you can learn just as much!